Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I dislike mosquitos

By dislike mosquitos, I mean I hate them. I feel like itçs fitting to post about them as I discovered about 15 mosquitos perched on my mosquito net when I entered my room to display it to my boss and the two Aguemayo people. They were going around to four homestay houses that weren-t with any organized program to see their conditions and to see if their organization could help improve them. So after they left my room to talk in the living room (which is all but a hanging hawaiian-print sheet away from my room), I remained and attempted to slaughter the pests. I felt like Buster from Arrested Development when he was running around the living room trying to get the pigeon. "It stepped on my pillow!" I realized I was having no success attempting to pinch them off my net, so I had the genius idea of trying to clap the bugs to catch them. I didnçt think this thought all the way through and immediately regretted the tactic after a ridiculously loud smack resounded throughout the house while the NGO people were attempting to record an interview with my hostmom.

If any of you are in need of business cards, the organization that I-m working for (Centro Promocional Cristiano por la Paz y la Vida) collaborates with a women-s cooperative who makes recycled paper and I-m trying to get them to start a business in printing business cards with the recycled paper. Send me an e-mail and we can talk.

I am still really enjoying my work and my coworkers. I wish I had more time so that I could do more with the organization. I`m still working on the brochure for their tours offered. I donçt think theyçve given any of these tours yet, but hopefully after this promotional material is created, there will be a huge rush to San Ramón.

Here are some pictures from my birthday.
This is my hostmom. That morning she arranged flowers for the party.
This is my house all done up for my birthday party! We had carne asada, which was grilled on that grill in the photo and then placed on a banana leaf after it was cooked. Normally my host mom parks her bright yellow car right in front of the door, so this isn`t what I normally see when I arrive home.
My birthday party! My host-sisters all chipped in and bought me a birthday cake!

I provided alcohol for the celebration, since it was my 21st birthday party and all. I easily could have bought this beer at the age of 15 here, but the gesture was more symbolic than anything. Almost everyone in the photo is in my family.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

you look so beautiful and content. Happy Birthday!! Can't wait to get back and hang out with my new of-age friend.