Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oh boy

I just had an awkward experience, which might blossom into further awkward encounters. Before I start with that story, I rode on my first motorcycle! I really liked it. Now to the story.

Our neighbor, known as 'the man who owns the pool' (I think it´s the only one in San Ramón), stops by a lot and works with Marfa (my host mom) on the Commission of Tourism in San Ramón. I met him my second day here and we´re friendly with each other. He gave me a ride on his motorcycle to my hostmom´s daughter´s house, where he was going for a meeting about tourism and I was going to meet up with a friend who lives near her. About fifteen seconds into the ride, he said that he wanted to explain to me the good characteristics that I have. He told me I was friendly, decisive and I don´t change my mind, and that I´m sensible with my decisions, and that I´m intelligent, friendly, etc. As we got closer to my sister´s house, he told me that I might not understand what he was going to tell me but that the men here treat women like objects and only choose to date women because they have nice bodies, but that he´s not like that and that´s why he was telling me these nice qualities that I have. He´s 45, married, and with kids. It´s just awkward. Hopefully he was just being nice.

2 comments:

bulletbait86 said...

Haha, that is pretty awkward. Also, sorry that your friend is leaving :/

Jamie said...

Hey Marissa. I got your blog off of your plan. I don't know if Carlos was hitting on you (man, I hope not- he was one of the only Nica men I met who seemed genuinely decent and not a total perv), however he does tend to have the flair for the dramatic and all.

Here's a quick Carlos story: Rob visited for a week the first time I was in Nica, and when he was about to leave, Carlos got down on one knee in front of Rob in the Marfa's living area, lit only by candlelight. It looked very romantic, like as if Carlos was about to propose to Rob or something. Then Carlos says: "Roberto, I do not say goodbye, for that would mean we were to part. I know, I know in my heart, in my soul, that I will see you again, you'll be back and we'll meet again." It was so funny and awkward. But, when we went back 6 months later, Marfa's car broke down in the night on the way to Matagalpa. Carlos happens to go by on his motorcycle, with his little daughter on the back, and stops to help us with the car. As he takes off his helmet, he goes, nonplussed, "Roberto, I told you we'd meet again."

Guess that's just Carlos for you!

Hope you are well, and that you had fun with those folks you were going to hang out with last time we talked. Big abrazos!

Jamie